Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Antique Dresser

I found this dresser at a local thrift store, and my initial response was that it was priced too high, it was really a piece of junk. It was broken on top, and really was looking quite pitiful. But I bought it, and all the way home I had buyers remorse.

It was my first experience with "stripping" funiture. It was so old and had so many layers of paint, I felt that was my best option. What a MESS! But under all the layers was this incredible blue/green paint that remained in some spots. Pure luck!

I repainted it with "Wood Ash" by Benjamin Moore but I was able to keep little bits of the blue/green paint on in places and have it show through after I sanded it. I added rusty star handles for a bit of fun, and I used fabric from local designer Amy Hamberlin to line the drawers. The turquoise really makes them POP. I just love how this dresser turned out!




And to think I almost passed this one by.... It was the rails and panels on the sides that I couldn't resist. I'm SO glad that I bought it, and I'm thrilled with the end result!


Furniture Feature Fridays

4 comments:

  1. Your hard work paid off! It looks so authentic.
    Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you didn't pass it buy either. Now I have the inspiration piece I need to paint the dresser residing in my guest room. A $5 find to be sure but equally ugly at the moment. Can't wait to start working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dresser and the bits of blue that pops through! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work!

    Newest follower - I'd love if you would follow back.

    Alida
    radcrafter.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day!